Science Teacher - Earth Science/General Science
The Gates Chili Central School District is dedicated to fostering curiosity, growth, and diversity within our school community. The District celebrates and embraces differences and strives to dismantle exclusion, bias, racism, and prejudice of all forms.
Position: Technology Teacher
Purpose: Under the general supervision of the Building Principal, to develop students' skills and competence in business and industry, technical skills, the use of technology, and the ability to solve problems in a wide variety of settings.
- Develops and administers technology education curriculum consistent with school district goals and objectives.
- Develops technology units to be delivered in the classroom or technology lab.
- Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to student learning.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and utilizes appropriate equipment for subject area; translates lesson plans into learning experiences to develop pertinent sequential assignments, challenge students, and best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Designs learning activities to demonstrate the application of technical skills to everyday existence, guides students in the selection of projects or experiments.
- Instructs students in the proper and safe use, care and storage of tools, machines and equipment.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning and progress, and modifies instructional methods to meet individual student's needs, including students receiving special needs services; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed.
- Maintains familiarity with district and New York State standardized tests for the purpose of adapting curriculum and instruction to maximize student achievement on such tests.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental/guardian involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and families.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms to the school's standards and school district policies.
- Coordinates with Director of Technology, District and Build Administrators, staff members, and others for the purpose of maximizing the uses and effectiveness of technology in student learning activities.
- Selects and requisitions appropriate books, instructional aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records; ensures machines and equipment are in proper working order.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Building Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles, ability and cultural and ethnic identities.
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize content specific hardware and software.
- Knowledge of a wide range of industrial, technical and technology-related subject areas, as well as best practices in incorporating technology into student learning activities.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to engage in self-reflective and professional cultural diversity training.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and families.
- Ability to establish and maintain engaging working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to engage with a diverse student population and families.
Certification/License: New York State Certification as a Technology Education Teacher. Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own transportation.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment; and Master’s Degree in related area preferred.
Experience: Experience working with a culturally, ethnically and ably diverse population of students desired; successful prior teaching experience a plus.
Demands, Hazards: Works in standard office and school building environments.
Equipment: Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
Travel: Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
To apply please select the Apply Now Button