- Drives a school bus/vehicle on a regular schedule on an assigned route or on special occasions;
- Performs a pre-trip inspection of the vehicle prior to departure and post-trip inspection after every route;
- Reports all defects, mechanical and other, of the bus/vehicle to the supervisor;
- Instructs or informs passengers about safety practices and procedures when embarking and disembarking bus/vehicle, while in transit, and throughout the year;
- Maintains safe and orderly conduct on the bus/vehicle, including student management;
- Assists passengers in boarding and exiting a bus/vehicle by providing physical assistance or operating a hydraulic lift;
- Cleans and fuels assigned vehicles daily;
- Operates a van, station wagon, or similar vehicle to transport objects.
2-way radio as needed.
Good knowledge of vehicle and traffic law, regulations of the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles, and regulations of the Commissioner of Education (New York State Education Part 156.3 Transportation Regulations) pertaining to pupil transportation; good knowledge of safe driving practices and defensive driving; good knowledge of the geography of the employing school district or municipality; ability to operate a bus under all driving and road conditions; ability to understand oral and written directions; ability to physically assist passengers on and off buses; ability to get along well with children/students/passengers and command their respect; mental alertness; visual and audio acuity; dependability; courtesy; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
- Works in standard office and school building environments.
- Ability to lift students as needed.
- Ability to work outdoors.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Functions for this position.